Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Springtime in the Rockies

Saturday was was the first day of Spring, my most favorite season. This is what my garden looked like early that morning:

A little later, the clouds had cleared away, the sky was blue, and the cheery little crocus were once again brightening up the yard:


Alas, tonight they are buried under snow- again. I think Spring is the toughest time for me to bear, garden-wise. We usually get warm spells though March that encourages all the daffodils, jonquils and tulips to bloom just in time to be crushed under the late Spring snows. Last year everything budded out so early only to be killed by a late freeze, leaving us with no pretty trees or lilacs in bloom that Spring. Needless to say, I was heart-broken. But for me, hope is always eternal and I'm optimistic this will be one of those years where we really do have a beautiful Spring. It's been cold enough that the green shoots are just now appearing in the beds and the trees aren't really budding yet so maybe, just maybe, my flowers, trees and bushes will put on a glorious show come April. I really, really hope so.

This has turned out to be a difficult month for us. Eric's father passed away March 12th and his funeral service was last Tuesday. He had been ailing as the effects of his emphysema were finally catching up with him. He managed quite well for many years with oxygen but the last year really took its toll. He passed away at home early in the morning while napping in his favorite chair. We are all thankful that he went so gently and that he is no longer suffering. However, it goes without saying that he will be greatly missed. He was a really terrific father-in-law to me, I couldn't have asked for a better one.

1 comment:

Joan said...

My sincere consdolences! March is a significant month for me as well. My father passed away 9 years ago on the 14th. Fond memories replace the pain of his passing and those are the prayers I have for you and your family today!