Sunday, October 25, 2009

Making progress!

I got all my blocks stitched together last night but decided that I didn't like the brown fabric that I had selected for the border and binding. It just "died" when I held it up next to the panel. I made a run to one of the quilt shops that was open today and picked out a raspberry shade that looked like it would work. But rats, when I put it on the top and bottom, it was just too strong. After noodling around with the fabrics a little, I think I've come up with a good solution: cut down the raspberry strips to leave a narrow 1/4" border for just a pop of color when a 1/2" binding of the brown fabric is applied (you can sort of see the pinned mock-up at the top of the panel.) The border just won't be as wide as originally called for but I think the end result will be even better.

In the meantime, I hauled out the embroidery unit for my machine and stitched out the label. This is my first time creating a label with the embroidery software and while I generally happy with it, I can already see things about the layout that could be improved. Everything's a learning experience!

I had hoped to get the quilt finished this weekend but all the angst over the border killed that plan. So now I'm shooting to have it in the mail by Thursday. While I'm toiling away, Cary will no doubt be taking up his usual spot on the big guy's recliner:


Michelle said...

Wow! That sure is pretty! I just love the colors.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Isn't that bee on the back just perfect for the cute. I love the blocks. :)

Peggy said...

This is so pretty and the label is fantastic. You are so talented. I am amazed!!