Tuesday, April 20, 2010

First tote bag finished

After staying up pretty late Saturday night, I did mange to work some more on my rose print bag Sunday afternoon and finished it tonight.  Here it is:


I made this for my cousin's wife so I machine embroidered her initial on the tab:


One of the things that makes this tote so popular with the ladies that I give it to is that the sides are held in with magnetic snaps that open when more room is needed to stash stuff in the tote.  This is what it looks like with the snaps open:


The bag is made out of decorator fabric that my aunt found left behind in a rental house that she and my uncle own.  It's dated 1986 on the selvage so it's kind of vintage and it was made to co-ordinate with wallpaper.  I really like it because the print has a hand-painted look to it.  There was quite a bit of yardage so I'll probably be able to make some more bags out of it.

7 comments:

Kim said...

Beautiful bag!

sunny said...

Oh my gosh! How did I miss this beautiful bag? Love it!! If you want to send one to me, my initial is "S"! LOL

Dandelion Quilts said...

What an elegant bag. All that energy you spent quilting it really paid off...it looks like a million bucks!

Marilyn said...

This is really pretty! You did a beautiful job with the sewing and quilting.

KatieQ said...

The bag is beautiful. The fabric reminds me of a set of dishes my mom had when I was a little girl. I love that your aunt shared the fabric with you and you made a beautiful bag to share with a family member.

Sandra said...

The details on this bag are beautiful! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Bag is lovely!I love both pattern and colors. In my opinion (all writers from http://pinkelstar.com/ agree with me) your cousin's wife will be extremely happy to get such a stunning handmade present!