Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Here we go!

Ok, here goes my first post! I never in a million years ever thought that I'd be starting a blog but after I joined the Charming Girls Club, it just made sense. I always have some sort of project going on and it will be nice to share them with other girls who also feel the need to create!

Whew! I really slid under the wire with my August finishes. My patriotic banner is the first quilt that I've pieced, quilted and bound and I was feverishly sewing the binding on the back up to the very last minute. I had no idea it would take me so long! Although I've sewn for a long time, I'm relatively new to quilting. I've got some finished tops that I've pieced, but up to now, taking that final plunge and getting them sandwiched and quilted was something that I've really kind of freaked out over. I've finally gotten myself over that hump! Someday I'll be brave enough to drop the dogs and do free motion quilting. I have no excuse not to learn how, the local quilt shop that is my home away from home is Harriet's Treadle Arts, owned by Harriet Hargrave who pretty much pioneered the art of quilting on home sewing machines. Harriet has a whole bunch of classes that are on my wishlist to take.

I noticed in the comments for our August finishes that some of you are wondering if there's a pattern for one of the tote bags that I made. And the answer is yes! The tote in question is the one on the left:

I made it using a Recipe For Friendship charm pack and the Charming Totes 4 pattern from Whistlepig Creek Productions. The pattern has three variations and all are designed to utilize charm packs. A terrific friend made me a different variation in fall colors for my birthday last year and I liked the tote so much (it is a really nice size, approx. 14 x 14 inches) that I decided to make a different version for each season. This particular one is my summer one. I already have my charms and pattern picked out for my winter version and will probably make that one in the next month or so. The other tote bag was a long overdue gift for my friend, Holly, who just adores polka dots. I gave it to her today and got a big hug in return. She really loves it!

Last but not least, here's a picture of the lovely tea towel that Katy made me for the exchange. Since Halloween is one of my most favorite holidays, I just adore it! The print on the band has a cute vintage look to it which I also really like. Mr. Duck is proud to show it off for us:

Katy also included a delicious recipe for Cookie Salad which I'll try over Labor Day weekend. I have a feeling that it will be a huge hit with the big guy (aka as my hubby) who has never met a dessert he didn't like.

Here's the towel that I made for Katy:


Let me just say that those Clover yo-yo makers are the best invention ever!

4 comments:

Shakerwood said...

Welcome to blogland....you're going to love it! Glad you got some things finished. I just seem to finish tops which are still totally useless while sitting in a big pile unquilted!

Katy said...

Welcome, welcome!! So exciting that you are blogging now! And so glad you like your towel :o) I must admit, I was a bit nervous about making it...it was the first towel I've made, and I loved it so much I had to make one for myself! Enjoy, and I'll be reading!

Dandelion Quilts said...

Oh, I am glad to know what tote pattern you used...I just love the one with the diamonds. Cute. You did a great job deciding what prints to put where on that.

Monica said...

Wow! You are so lucky to have Harriet Hargrave as your local shop! What a resource! I'm sure you'll love blogging - it's fun to be able to share all your accomplishments!